Wednesday, November 18, 2015

MY SIDE OF THE STORY - 

ANGIE BY THE ROLLING STONES -THE TRUTH 

Angie is one of my all time favorite love songs.  I am so happy to finally have the REAL story behind the song!
The initial speculation was: Angie was written about Angela Bowie or Marianne Faithful.  I have found the truth from quotes Keith Richards and Mick Jagger! 

Keith Richards
I had the whole chord sequence down maybe a year ago with just the title Angie. It could have been Randy or Mangy or anything, you know, but Mick just picked up on the title and wrote a song around it. He added the strings - all the strings on the album are his idea. 

I don't know who chose it as a single. I think somebody said that it would make a change and that it would get a heavy reaction on AM stations. I'm really not interested in picking singles. 

The basic melody and the title were mine. I don't think you can write really interesting rock and roll songs if you can't get into ballads and slower stuff. Quite often when you write a ballad it ends up as something else. 

Once we've got a song we tussle around with it, roll in the dirt with it. I'd recently had my daughter born, who's name was Angela, and the name was starting to ring around the house. But I'm into writing about my babies. Angie just fitted. I mean, you couldn't sing 'Maureen'...
- Keith Richards, 1993

Mick Jagger
I think Keith wrote the first line, I think it was his daughter (Angela). It was about love coming to a full stop. The actual name, I'm not sure where it came from, it's not about Angela Bowie. I think it's Keith's daughter's name. 

I've said about a hundred million times that it wasn't (about Angela Bowie)... I don't think I had even met Angela Bowie when I wrote the rest of the lyrics.
- Mick Jagger, February 2002

Angie by Mick Jagger & Keith Richards

Angie, Angie, when will those clouds all disappear?
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?
With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats
You cant say were satisfied
But AngieAngie, you cant say we never tried
Angie, you're beautiful, but ain't it time we said good-bye?
Angie, I still love you, remember all those nights we cried?
All the dreams we held so close seemed to all go up in smoke
Let me whisper in your ear:
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?
Oh, Angie, don't you weep, all your kisses still taste sweet
I hate that sadness in your eyes
But AngieAngie, ain't it time we said good-bye?
With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats
You cant say were satisfied
But Angie, I still love you, baby
Everywhere I look I see your eyes
There ain't a woman that comes close to you
Come on baby, dry your eyes
But AngieAngie, ain't it good to be alive?
Angie, Angie, they cant say we never tried!

The Rolling Stones - Angie - OFFICIAL PROMO (Version 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZn2-bGXqQ

No comments:

Post a Comment